I have spent over an hour trying to get Blogger to let me make a new post. Of course, the solution was simple. I needed to clear my cache...
Since I did not say much about Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University ( fpuonline.daveramsey.com ) yesterday, I'll write a quick blog about that and then go to bed.
My basic feelings about the series is somewhat like the feeling I had about something called "est" in the early 1970's, (the line came from my then roomate, Sherman Adams, but it was perfect), "Its a lot of bulls---, but it works." Before I get a lot of complaints from Ramsey fans, I should say that I spent something over 4 years volunteering over 40 hours a week at "est". But that did not change the accuracy of the statement.
Much the same seems to be true of FPU and of the Ramsey books I've read so far. Its worth the time, money and effort to go through the program. And, from what I can tell at just past the halfway point, it will work. It will certainly make you think about how you manage your finances and life (rarely a bad thing, that).
The "caveat" is also the same as "est". Use it as it applies and do not believe it. Dave says he is a salesperson and has been one for years. That is apparent, and it is part of why his information should be used, not believed. By all means, "Think" (as he says) before you make financial decisions. And, this thinking should include understanding what the results of your decisions will be. My lack of understanding of credit, how to use and not use it (by far the preferred option), is why I find the program of such value. However, Dave uses your emotions in his program, just as he points out sales and collection folks do. And, that old radio program where the host told you, "the rest of the story", would have a lot of material with this program.
Having said all that, the program is worthwhile and worth participating in / with. My initial purposes in signing up were to improve the financial outlook for my wife and I (our net worth was reduced by over 80%), and to see if I wanted to pursue having it presented at my church. My inclination (again, not final as I have more to do) is that I probably will pursue that in a couple of months (when I have finished and had some time to both reflect on it, confirm that it continues to produce results, and pray some more about it).
Well that is it.
Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment