For some time now friends and family have been encouraging me to write something. And I haven't done much. Then my wife was diagnosed with metastasized breast cancer. So, to keep people informed, I started writing an update note. And that seemed to work.
Earlier this week (I do not remember when exactly), I decided I would try blogging. And the title of the blog came to me ("Marty - At the End of the Day"). I only had to decide when and what. I thought I knew both earlier today. I knew that the when was today. I thought the what would be something about our, especially my, experience Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. I will likely do that sometime. Not tonight.
As we wrapped up for the evening, Tracy suggested we watch "De-Lovely" (about Cole Porter). Throughout the movie I was moved almost to, and sometimes to, tears. Being at home, and with a wife who puts up with my idiosyncrasies, I sang most of the songs. I was reminded once again of how much I do love musicals and many of the people involved. I was never in a professional production of one. However, the couple of amateur and community productions had me hooked. (Probably having grown up in Brooklyn and in a family where one of our "very special" things to do was attend Broadway theater also had something to do with it).
So tonight I am feeling grateful to and for the artists involved. It occurs to me that a fair bit of my acceptance of others probably comes from theater and especially musicals. From "Showboat" through "My Fair Lady", "Rent" and others, these gave me something of an experience of discrimination and a sense of the beauty of allowing others to be as they are and are not. And a recognition of the heroism of the individual. Perhaps nothing special, but important to me nonetheless. Perhaps I will some day allow myself the same freedom.
Anyway, at the end of today, I am feeling thoughtful, introspective, inspired, and grateful to a myriad of people most of whose names I do not know. So, for right now, they are represented by Cole Porter.
Good night
No comments:
Post a Comment